How To Improve Google Search Engine Ranking?
Google search rankings that are at the top can be the pinnacle of a successful online business.
Backlinko has found out that the results that come on the first page of Google receive 31.7% of all the clicks, whereas the results that come from the second page get only .78% of the clicks.
Most people don’t have much idea about the ways in which they can improve their Google rankings, without getting penalized for it. So it is likely for you to ask, “how to improve your Google rankings?” However, when it comes to search engine optimization and Google search console, there isn’t any magic button that can improve your Google rankings instantly.
What can actually help you is dedication, creativity, persistence, and resourcefulness. This is the key to Google rankings because Google’s algorithm keeps changing; you need to have a fair understanding of search engine optimization, search engine rankings, and Google analytics.
As we said earlier, there is no magic button but there sure are some simple steps that can get you to the top of the SERP (search engine results page), which will lead your website to get into the first page of Google.
This article will help you to understand how the algorithm of search engine rankings works. Let us get into some basics of search engines and how it works.
Step 1: Understanding The Google Algorithm
We could directly start with some of the strategies of search engines and Google search consoles that you could use on the site. But rather than jumping right into the strategies, let us first set up for long-term success, so that you do not get penalized every single time you update something new.
John Mueller and Gary Illyes who are the executives of Google have confirmed that Google keeps changing the algorithm, however, these changes are not announced publicly all the time. According to several experts, there are almost 400-500 changes in the Google algorithm every year.
Google does share some of the major updates but people are still unaware of the inner workings of Google’s algorithm. When you think of it, if all of us would have the idea about how to get a higher ranking in the search engine without getting penalized, Google would not have been successful in ranking just the best search results. Some people use black hat or shortcuts in SEO ranking strategies or hack the way to the top, for which they can be penalized.
Talking about the knowledge that we have about Google’s algorithm, here are some examples of the major previous updates to help you understand the concept better:
- (July 2019) Mobile-first update: What Googlebot does now is look at each and every website on a smartphone and prioritizes the sites that work fine on mobile phones.
- (April 2015) Mobile-friendly update: This update favors only those websites that have mobile-friendly versions and sets a stage for any penalties for the future if the websites do not comply.
- (July 2014) Pigeon: Works towards integrating the local search results such as Google Maps.
- (August 2013) Hummingbird: It aims for understanding the intent and context behind the search of the user rather than looking for the exact words they typed.
- (April 2012) Penguin: This update targets sites and spammers who boost the rankings through unnatural links.
Step 2: Assess Your Current Google Ranking
In order to get a higher ranking in the Google search console, you first need to be aware of your current standing. This is applicable for the new sites too, and thankfully there are some easy ways to do this.
To Check The Site’s Keyword Ranking Use Ubersuggest
You can use the tool Ubersuggest if at all you are trying to target some particular keywords in the content page, this tool can help you in assessing your rank.
Steps to use Ubersuggest:
- Login and use “Traffic Overview” which is under the report of the competitor.
- Type your domain.
- There will be an SEO ranking keywords list, the rank for all the top pages.
- An overview of keyword ranking.
Check The Speed Of Your Site
It is very important to check your site’s speed because this is a crucial factor that determines Google ranking. The chances of you getting a higher position in search engines decrease if the site is slow.
For example, Walmart had experienced a huge decrease in conversion when the official page took more than the usual time to load. Hence, if you want to get a good ranking on the Google search engine, you must run periodic site speed tests. You can do this with the help of various tools like-
- Google PageSpeed Insights
- Pingdom Website Speed Test
- YSlow browser extension (for Yahoo)
Keep A Track Of The Site’s Health
After having a look at the rank of the keyword search engine and the speed of the site, before starting the optimization, it is important to check the complete site health.
You can get a few tools that will help you solve this puzzle and improve your Google rank. MxToolBox Domain Health Report can be used for checking the major issues that you may be facing, it works in 5 categories: blacklist, general problems in the site, web server, mail server, finally DNS.
Step 3: Search Engine: Tracking And Measuring Appropriate SEO Metrics
Now let us talk about the essential metrics of the site that will help you in finding the need for some major updates that can be improved. We have mentioned some of the major metrics that you must take into consideration.
It is quite important to know how the audience is finding your website through Google. Organic search has helped in driving most of the visitors to the site for the longest time, crushing the non-organic channels such as social media and paid search.
In recent times, quality content on social media paid ads and email has also been shown to help drive organic traffic, however, this may vary from one industry to another.
Conversions Of Organic Traffic
Apart from analyzing the Google search console and search traffic, you should also pay attention to the keywords which will help in generating traffic for the site as it is important for search rankings.
SERP Scan is one of the simplest tools that can help you. It can be used to identify your keywords that will organically convert for the site.
SERP Scan can also help identify the keywords that have been sending organic traffic to your site in the past 12 months. This also includes a performance chart that consists of the on-page SEO keyword.
Keyword Search Rankings For The Transactional Keywords
One of the biggest mistakes that people make while researching for keywords is avoiding transactional keywords and not spending much time on them. They do not focus much on these while transactional keywords help a lot in bringing traffic to your site.
It is the commercial keywords that help in driving revenue to your website. If you want to improve search engine rankings for your website as well as make money, understanding the basic difference between informational and commercial keywords is important.
Track The Metrics: Setting Up A Dashboard For SEO
Experts highly recommend creating a dashboard for SEO, which will help track all important metrics whenever you want.
There are various tools that can help do this. SEMRush, for example, is a beautiful paid tool that makes it pretty easy to keep track of SEO efforts and the integrated dashboard.
If you have enough cash to invest you can indeed go for this SEO tool. But if you have a small budget Google analytics can help you in serving this purpose.
Step 4: Ensure The Site Works On Mobile Devices (That is, Mobile-First Google)
For your site to get a higher ranking on Google, it needs to work fine on mobile devices. Mobiles help in driving most of the traffic into your site which helps in getting a better ranking too.
Though the algorithm of Google is not so clear, the ranking process on mobiles has not remained a mystery.
Mobile-Friendly Sites: Tips And Tricks
- You may use tools like DudaMobile or Mobify, that help fix your site.
- Your website can be made on popular CMS platforms, such as Wix or WordPress because the themes here are mostly mobile-friendly. You must regularly update the website for the latest version in order to enjoy the features.
- Ensure that form fields and CTAs make use of buttons that are easy and large to tap.
- Avoid using popups that may be impossible for users to close. Popups do help in improving conversions but they may even irritate the users.
Step 5: Fixing Google Penalties And Promotion Of The Site
We hope by now you have understood the importance of keywords, links, and search traffic. Now it is time for you to do a detailed examination of the site for fixing any recent penalties. This is very necessary because if you promote or build links on a site that is unhealthy, it will be of no importance.
Step 6: Keyword Research To Improve Google Rank
When you finally get rid of any kind of unnatural link, it is time to improve the on-page SEO on your site. Keyword research is one of the most effective internal marketing strategies and an essential element of Google ranking. You need to understand the way keywords work because without this you won’t be able to get a higher rank.
Keep An Eye On The Competitor’s Keywords
Are your competitors getting a higher rank on Google pages? It is time to optimize your content at the same time track your competitors. When you find out that the Google algorithm is liking them, you may learn from them and even copy their strategies to improve search engine ranking.
You can use various tools too like Google Keyword Planner, which will give an accurate estimation of the targeted keywords of the competitors.
Step 7: Increasing Google Ranking And On-Page SEO
Now that you are aware of the targeted keywords, the next step is to focus on a meaningful and well-equipped on-page SEO.
You may use this excellent guide that will help you in breaking down the factors of on-page SEO and earn good points along with Google and visitors.
Optimize Title Tags
The performance of your site depends a lot on the use of title tags.
- The title tag should be unique, descriptive, and also make sure it caters to your target keywords.
- Repeating the keywords and title tags, again and again, must be definitely avoided. This is a simple way to bring in some diversity to the site which will bring more opportunities and will not let you hamper the efforts put in by you.
Structured Data Markup: Usage Of Schema Markup
Also known as extra labels, Schema Markup deals with information that will tell Google about the content and what it means. Let’s take an example: if your name is on any article, Google will display your name as a SERP entry.
You may use schema title tags for identifying different forms of information available on SERP, including:
- Book reviews
- Local businesses
- TV episodes
- Software applications
- TV episodes with ratings
Step 8: Usage Of Keywords For Creating Better Content
We have already discussed the importance of keyword research and how it must be placed in any article or content that you post on your site. In this part, we will discuss how you can leverage the keywords that have been researched by you. Many people have a misunderstanding regarding the objective of keyword research and their placement.
- Make sure your article, blog, or content is valuable and includes the keywords. A lot of times people infuse the keywords but the article does not remain relevant to the users, so keep this in mind.
- Optimize the informational keywords to improve the search ranking with the help of informative and interesting content with a descriptive meta description as well as the title tag.
Use Articles That Are Data-Driven
Another way to increase your rank on Google is by using data-driven content, ConversionXL says.
Always have accurate reports and backups that will help the users see the content as authoritative content so that they share it on their social media channels. This could also help expand the organic search.
Use Storytelling Techniques While Ensuring KW Infusion
Stories may captivate the audience, infuse emotions, as well as improve the conversion rate on your page.
Here is an example that can help you in telling a good story:
- Start with a unique beginning: The beginning of your story must be unique with a good message that will interest the audience. This can be an ideal way to captivate the attention of the audience and answer their questions.
- Tell Your Individual Experiences: When you tell a story or post content on your blog always try to include your story, it may be good or bad but the audience could find it relatable. But at the same time, you must not have any fake stories.
- Adding CTA or Call-to-Action: The content or blog that you post must end perfectly. When you are successful in grabbing the attention of the audience they are also expecting you to give a solution. At the end of the day, your story must give a solution.
Use Internal Linking, CTA Button: Lead Users To Your Website
Do not settle with just regular blogging, though it is important if you want to rank your site higher on Google.
If you want to rank your website to the first page of the Google search console, you must know the keywords that have led the user to search for your site. Once you know that use them in several ways like:
- Email series
- Animated GIFs
Step 9: Choose The Right Way To Build Links
Earlier, you saw how you can analyze the relevant links to the website with the use of SEOprofiler. Remember that it also shows a wide range of various kinds of anchor text for the inbound links.
This is the very reason why you need to use anchor text and backlinks appropriately as it helps improve Google rankings.
Google Search Console: Final Thoughts
Understanding the algorithm of Google search ranking can be pretty difficult. If you want to optimize your website, with accurate data and backlinks you need to focus on the factors that we have discussed in the articles. You can take your time to understand the target users and what they want from your site. This will help you to improve your ranking on Google, and we hope these tips mentioned in the article will help you.
Also, remember to deliver great content which is relevant to the keywords and focus on the desires of your users. As soon as you get the feel of the Google search console, you can easily create the best content that will solve the problems of the users and lead them to visit your website again.
Keep creating some great content!