How to Create a Sitemap For Google In No Time
How to Create a Sitemap For Google In No Time
With thousands of searches and the ever-increasing traffic on the Internet, different brands need to make use of as many SEO hacks as possible to ensure that they have a good ranking. One such technique that you can operate in no time but has the potential to improve your SEO results significantly is an XML sitemap. There are certain steps that you must follow to create a sitemap but before that, here is a quick overview of what a sitemap is and the advantages it offers.
What is an XML Sitemap?
A sitemap is basically a list of different pages that make up your website. XML, short for “Extensible Markup Language”, is a way of displaying information on a site. Several people tend to be intimidated while dealing with sitemaps since they are considered to be a technical element of SEO but in all reality, you could easily learn how to create an XML sitemap in just a few minutes.
What is the Purpose of a Sitemap?
Search engines like Google use site crawlers to organize the information available on the Internet to display the most relevant results for any given search query. The purpose of an XML sitemap is to make it easier for search engine crawlers to read your content and index the pages of your site accordingly. As a result, your website has more chances of a better SEO ranking which ultimately leads to more visibility.
Learning how to create a sitemap for Google can be highly beneficial and help you increase traffic on your website. A well-structured sitemap not only serves as a table of contents for your site but also informs search engine crawlers about the relevance and priority ranking of pages within the site, the frequency of updates, and when a page was last uploaded. Without a proper sitemap, your website could be viewed as containing duplicate content, which can lower your SEO ranking.
What are the Advantages of a Sitemap?
In case you want to ensure that your SEO rankings improve, your solution is a sitemap. An XML sitemap not only has a huge impact on your SEO but also provides you with several benefits, some of which are listed below.
- An XML sitemap helps Google crawl your site in a much more effective manner.
- It informs Google about the type of content on your website, when your content was last updated, and how often it is updated generally.
- A sitemap ensures that crawlers find and index every page on your site, even those deep pages that might not otherwise be found by search engines.
- It helps websites get better and more organized indexation.
How to create an XML Sitemap
In case you are wondering how to create and submit a sitemap to Google, rest assured that you have reached the right page. Creating an XML sitemap is a relatively simple process that consists of three main steps:
- Creating your sitemap
- Adding your sitemap to your site.
- Submitting your sitemap to Google.
Steps to Create a Sitemap Using Screaming Frog
Screaming Frog is a desktop software that can be used to create a sitemap for any website. It provides a wide range of SEO tools and allows free crawling for up to 500 pages. In case your website is larger than 500 pages, you will have to upgrade to the paid version of Screaming Frog. Listed below is a step-by-step process on how to create a sitemap using the free version of Screaming Frog.
- First of all, install the Screaming Frog program.
- After the installation is complete, open Screaming Frog and type in your websites’ URL in the search bar at the top of the page.
- Then, click the “Start” button which will initiate the crawling process. The crawl bar will turn completely green once the crawling process is over. If your website is relatively small, the crawling process will take only a few seconds. In the case of large websites, it will take longer.
- Next, click “Sitemaps” in the menu bar and select “XML Sitemap”.
- Now you will need to choose the sections of your website which you wish to include in the XML sitemap.
- Once you have done that, click on the “Images” tab and select “Include Images”. The third box which states “Include only relevant Images… ” will automatically be checked.
- Then select “Next”, find a secure place to save your XML sitemap, and click “Save”.
And there you go. Congratulations on having successfully created an XML sitemap. But there’s still a little more work to be done. You need to upload your sitemap to your website and major search engines like Google.
Steps to Upload the XML Sitemap to Your Website
There are two methods through which you can upload your sitemap to your website. You can either upload it with the help of a cPanel File Manager or an FTP client. In case you want to upload your XML sitemap using the former, these are the steps you should follow.
- First of all, log into your cPanel and select “File Manager”.
- Next, click on the option “public _html” from the dashboard.
- Then, from the top bar, click “Upload”.
- Once you have done that, click on “Browse” and upload your sitemap to the cPanel.
Finally, you are done. You have managed to successfully upload your XML sitemap to your site. Now, all that needs to be done is submitting your sitemap to Google.
Steps to Submit Your XML Sitemap to Google
To submit your XML sitemap to Google, it is necessary to connect Google Console Search to your website. Once you have done so, follow the instructions given below. These steps will guide you and make the entire process of submitting your sitemap to Google relatively easy.
- First of all, go to Google Search Console, sign in, and choose your website.
- Next, click on “Sitemaps” from the menu bar and select the option “Add a new Sitemap”.
- Then, enter your XML sitemap’s URL in the box and click “Submit”.
Once that’s done, Google will soon inform you about the status of your sitemap. If it is submitted successfully, the status will show “Success” in green.
Congratulations. Finally, you have managed to create an XML sitemap, upload it to your website and submit it to Google, that too in no time.
In conclusion, you must realize that even though the term “XML sitemap” sounds terribly technical, creating one is not that difficult. There are several programs like Screaming Frog and Yoast that make the process relatively easy. Even if you know absolutely nothing about sitemaps and are hesitant to take the plunge, make sure you make one since it can drastically improve your websites’ ranking.